Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ask Alice...

In October 2000, a PC game was released called Amercan McGee's Alice, based loosely on the original Alice in Wonderland where Alice is a murderous psychotic. The game was okay, but the characters and story were amazing!



Tim burton's new movie was sadly not based on that game.


However, Burton does give us a very cool and twisted film!

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Burton. The love consists of Beetlejuice, and the hate... his re-imagining of Planet of the Apes. But he's won my affection this time by making Alice a very colorful artistic and fun movie. Visually, I think Burton has been making the same movie for over 20 years now, and seeing it in 3-D didn't really make it look much different or better, (*insert my rant about hating 3-D glasses here*).

But it helps when he hires the likes of (again) Johnny Depp (as The Mad Hatter), and (again) Helena Bonham Carter (playing awesomely over-the-top as the The Red Queen). Also Alan Rickman... will not... disappoint, (please read the previous line in your best Alan Rickman impersonation for the full effect) as The Blue Caterpillar. And it also helps that Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is quite a cutie!

The story is simple and straightforward, (although some of the dialogue is a bit difficult to follow because of some thick accents and many made up words), but it really makes you curious about reading the original books. Reading... What a concept!

Everyone knows I love to rip apart movies but I really can't find any flaws here, but at the same time I couldn't find any particular '...wow!' moments either, but I still really enjoyed it.

Actually, there was one '...OMG OMG OMG!' moment in the version I saw. A preview for Tron 2: Legacy! I hope you excuse me as I giggle and clap like a little girl now...

Deeesher

No comments:

Post a Comment